Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Violin Lessons With Dr. Lewis

When I was about 11 years old, I was up in the attic one day, looking for treasure. That attic was end-to-end boxes and bags and stuff wrapped in sheets. In between a bunch of stuff was an old, scuffed-up violin case. I knew what it was immediately, because my sister played the clarinet in the high school band.

I opened the case and was mesmerized by what I thought was an absolutely beautiful instrument. It was magical, because I was certain I was looking at family history. Uncle Fred, my mom's brother, had died of cancer when he was 22, long before I was born. Mom had told us what a great violin player he was. It had to be his.

I was hooked. Over the years, I've taken lessons from some pretty good teachers. I played in high school and college, of course. And still today, I pick it up once in awhile and play. Nothing in my life has ever been more fun. Sometimes I think of what might have been, if only I didn't have to earn a living.

And then not long ago I read about some easy violin lessons, the training videos by Dr. Eric Lewis. He's first violin for the Manhattan String Quartet, and he's played all over the world. Over the years, he has taught some very, very good players.

When I read about his videos, I got excited, and I ordered them. The first thing I did was to watch them all, which got me even more excited. on every video, I saw 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 things I could do that were an improvement over how I had learned music and played.

When I finished them all, I went back to Video #1 and got started for real. I've always been confident that I could play almost anything really well and get a great reaction from people. The problem is, it takes so much practice. I just don't have the time to put into it. And why do it if I'm not going to do it well? There's no satisfaction in giving a crappy performance.

What I've learned from Lewis is, it just doesn't take all those hours of practice every day to get really good results. If you learn a few simple techniques, you can get way better results than you would ever have thought possible.

I'm as excited today as I was when I first found that old violin in the attic. If you want to learn to play the violin a lot better in a hurry, I strongly recommend ViolinMasterPro. It is a great course.

5 comments:

chriscollins.cc said...

This was very informative and I may just start playing again. It has be 25 years.

Anonymous said...

Nice story. In any lesson or activity such as the music lessons, teacher to student relationship is very important. Students should be provided with musical instruments which may be a rent drums kimball junction, violins, clarinet, saxophone appropriate for every lessons

evolve said...

Nice Post!The main reason you want to find a good teacher is to get correct Music Lessons like Violin Music Lessons.

Unknown said...

Very nice post, If you want to find seasoned music educator likeMusic Piano Lessons.

Unknown said...

Nice Post!The main reason you want to find a good teacher is to get correct Music Lessons like Violin Teachers Portland .